Friday, October 5, 2012

Witches and Zombies and Weres...Oh My!

I will give you one guess what my favorite time of year is...

Did you guess? Huh? Huh? Did ya? If you said October you would be correct. I know I made it super tough for you. With the blog title and all, there was no hinting what so ever. There are many reasons to love this month. After all, we have the kickoff to the fall season, which seems to be a favorite for many people. One could also call it the warning bell. The month that alerts us that the stress of the holidays, the shopping, the large family gatherings, the travel, and tons of food and treats bound to do in any diet are all just around the corner. However, when October hits, I think of none of those things.

As a lover of urban fantasy and paranormal goodness, this is the month that is filled with monsters, frightful scares, tricks or treats, horror movies, costume parties, more scares, and creatures. Myth, magic, and mayhem prevail during the month of October. And anyone who knows even the tiniest bit of information about me, realizes that I am a lover of such things-ESPECIALLY if one can link it back to Celtic myth in some fashion. Guess what...I have!

Did you know that Halloween's beginnings can be tied back to the Celtic festival of the dead? Samhain, as the festival is called, is a time of year where the Celts believed the ghosts of the dead were able to mingle with living because the souls of those who had died throughout the year would travel on to the Otherworld on this night. There is also the belief that this time of year, the physical and supernatural worlds were closest  and therefore magic was more than possible. I like to think this is true. Because for this girl and all my fellow urban fantasy and paranormal authors, whose heads are often stuck in the clouds, dreaming of beings that exist in the supernatural world, magic and the possibilities that could result if such things were to walk among us...this is our time! When magic, myth, and mayhem collide into something amazing. Go forth my pretties, and make me proud!



14 comments:

  1. LOVE this time of year!! My body hates it...but I love the freefall into the holiday season. My signal always begins with the start up of the college football season. We bought our first pumpkin last week for the kiddo to decorate. I love how you phrased it...Myth, magic, and mayhem. My birthday is REALLY close to Halloween and for years my parents decorated our house as a haunted house for my parties. My favorite was the mystery boxes we had to stick our hands into to feel the spaghetti noodles for intestines and grapes for eyeballs. My dad got punched one year when my friends and I were a little older and he was dressed as a zombie to jump out to scare us. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha that is awesome! I've always thought a Halloween birthday would be fantastic! Or even one close to. Obviously I was born in the wrong month....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love autumn and this time of the year, because of the cooler air, the beautiful colors on the trees, harvesting the crops, but I'm not into Halloween as much as most people. We do give out candy, but I don't get excited over spooky movies.

    However, I do love me some Moira Keith's books and the beautiful prose and fantasy you create.

    Great blog post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Selena, you might make me all teary eyed if you keep up that sweet talk.

      I wish we had true fall colors here in Vegas, but this valley is pretty much in camouflage mode year round (unless you are down at the strip).

      Delete
  4. I love Halloween so much more now that I have kids. Since my boys were infants we all enjoyed dressing up and going trick-o-treating. This year will most likely be bittersweet since my oldest has now declared himself too old to go door-to-door. And, being six foot two tall, he probably is. But it makes me sad to close that chapter in life. Plus, where will I get all my mommy-tax-for-holding-the-bag chocolates???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mommy-taxes tend to change over the years. Sad isn't it?

      Sorry the oldest had declared himself to old, but that still leaves you with younger siblings to take right?

      Delete
  5. I Love Halloween too! The whole magical month of dressing up, haunted houses and the candy! I love the colors, the smells of caramel apples and candy...I could go on and on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, but I will save you all from a long rambling!

      Delete
  6. Fall and Winter are my two favorite months. Of course living in Illinois the winters have sucked for the last few years. Halloween and all the rest of the holidays turn me up and on (wink, wink). I used to have Halloween parties every year when I was younger. Unfortunately, my kids are not the partying type. My son's birthday is 10/25, and I've had over the years occasion to make it a Halloween theme. He liked it sometimes. I couldn't get him to understand the concept of dressing up like someone or something else for Halloween. It took me four years to get him to actually do it, and then he was Thomas the Tank Engine for the next three years...LOL Kids. I visited haunted houses every year too, until I had kids. They don't really enjoy that either. I think aliens took my children away!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never had anyone in my life that enjoyed haunted houses so I never went. I look forward to a time when I can have a Halloween party for my kids. Right now they just want to get dressed up as their favorite superhero (yuck) and go trick or treating. I guess for kids it is ALL about the treats and not so much about the tricks.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Moira! Love your post, but I must confess, now that my kids are grown and gone, hubby and me escape our house on Halloween night and go out for dinner. Besides, do I really need all that candy around the house, tempting me to eat it? No. However, I do visit my daughter's house and enjoy watching my grandson in his costume =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Samhain is my favorite holiday of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We don't do Halloween over here -- or rather...they're doing it wrong.
    However, I plan to do Samhain decorations (rather than Halloween) this year, although no one is around to knock on the door. (And those who do brave our long, dark, creepy driveway... want money, not candy. Sad, but true.)
    I love this time of year, the crisp mornings, the turning leaves, the brisk wind (okay, I could do without the rain) and the smell...oh...the smell. Love that smell, I don't know why. Bonfires are lit all over, getting rid of tons of leaves. That mingles into the smells as well.
    This year I'm really getting the full force of the seasons, because I'm out with Oz every day. He likes the cooler air too, because he's always racing to get places. I wrap up, he keeps warm by being rather...energetic. Works for both of us. :)
    The only thing I *don't* like is that it's dark by 6:30pm, and still dark when I leave for work. And soon the horses have to come in, and it's mucking out time again.
    Not that I can take a day off at the moment. The poor pony claims he's starving (not with THAT grass belly, thank you) and wants his food...
    Other than that -- bring it on.

    ReplyDelete