Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Drive and Discipline

Do I have the drive and discipline to be an author? a writer?
Nora Roberts says a writer doesn't find the time to write. A writer makes the time to write.
I am one of the least disciplined people I know...
It's why I don't homeschool my kids--they might get stupid.
It's why I haven't really subscribed to an exercise regime and succeeded.
It's why I sometimes look around and think to myself, "Do you have the drive to become a multipublished author?!"

I don't know the answer to that.
For me, there is a daily struggle to make it happen.
I want it enough to maintain the struggle.
But I wonder, will it ever get easier? Will the struggle become habit and the writing become second nature?

Sometimes the lack of discipline leads to swings. Like mood swings, I will often write for weeks at a time, driven by a muse. Then in the following weeks, will barely touch new works, instead putzing around with crits or edits. Is this natural?? I want to endure doing all of this, all the time.

What do you do? How do you stay disciplined?

5 comments:

  1. It's normal. I do it all the time. I'm in a funk at the moment and am trying to pull myself out of it.
    I'm not making it easier on myself either -- I write 2-4 books at the same time, so one of them always suffers.
    But when I get into a funk on one...I get in a funk on ALL of them.
    So it's not just you. It happens to everyone. :)
    (At least that's what I keep telling myself!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am polishing up three manuscript and then went back to the next WIP that I need to finish and found I only wanted to polish.

    I've been forcing myself to turn off the Internet and keep write. I figure once I get through this hump the work should start flowing again.

    Janice~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lack discipline as well, Bethanne. I try to be strict but a lot of the time it doesn't work and I waste masses of time procrastinating. Like you, I'll get stuck in to an ms and write for a couple of weeks and produce loads but then I'll fade away and not produce anything new for what seems like ages. I try to do other things then. I think some people just aren't consistent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is a problem for most of us. When I am not in the 'muse writing mode' I read, edit or try to stay up on social media connections (guess which mode I'm in today)--or just putz around (smile). At least I don't do the games thing and waste time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *hides the WoW icon*
    Games? What games?

    ReplyDelete