Tuesday, August 28, 2012

New Beginnings

This is my favorite time of year.  For me...it is the promise of what's soon to follow.  The kiddo is back in school which gives me more free time for what I have on my to-do list, whether it's housework, family, personal, or writing.  The hint of fall is in the air as the evening and morning air begins to cool down enough for me to sit out on the porch without sweating through my clothes.  Oh, but us southern women don't sweat, we glisten. ;) 

The start of school signals a much anticipated college football season.  Go Sooners!  But even better...I break out the cool weather recipes.  It's still too hot here in Oklahoma for chili or hot soups, but last night I couldn't help myself and made the family one of their favorites, chicken and dumplings.  I admit I'm lazy and don't make the dumplings from scratch, just cut up a couple cans of jumbo butter biscuits.  But last night I loved when each one of my guys came in the house and smelled the chicken cooking.  Grins from ear-to-ear.  *sigh*  And it helps that I use the crock pot more when the weather cools down.  I can throw everything in the pot first thing in the morning and dinner is ready when the guys get home.  Which also gives us more family time together.

Things are a little different this year because I'd decided to go back to school and finish my bachelor's degree.  So homework is taking precedent over my writing time.  Grrrr.  But as I was writing a paper for a class, a storyline smacked me in the back of the head.  I opened a new file in Word and by the time I was finished I had a new series outlined.  Wow.  I'm excited with not only a new series plotting itself out in my head, but the promise of new beginnings.  My oldest man/child started college classes this fall and is working a real full-time job.  My baby is venturing out in the real world.  And we are looking at land to build a house.  We've had a few negatives hitting us hard lately, so new beginnings and positive promises for the future are very welcome.  Something I've always tried to teach my children is to brush yourself off after falling off the proverbial horse and cowboy up.  Keep searching for the positive and learn from the negative.

So how about you guys?  Any positives you can celebrate with me?

3 comments:

  1. Definitely hear you on getting hit with the negatives lately, but like you, I'm always looking for the silver lining in there somewhere! Congrats on outlining a series and going back to school too! And I can't wait to break out the crock pot - I love fall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol - it must be nice not sweating - I want to glisten.

    I'm wracking my brains for something positive to share - I'm sure there must be something... I might have to come back later.
    But no negatives either so that's good.

    Glad you're feeling excited about the series - it's a lovely feeling isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Deb. I'm trying to keep our positives front and center. It helps keep me sane. ;)

    I love the promise of a new story that flows without scraping it out of my brain. Now if I can finish the other stories and get those subbed...I'll be just fine. Ha.

    ReplyDelete